Monday, February 1, 2010

Maps are not toys!


Occasionally when homework is completed early some of the kids begin what can only be described as "crazy time." Running around chasing each other, bothering kids still studying, finding something to play with that they're not supposed too. This craziness is short lived, volunteers quickly assemble activities to focus them and hopefully get some more learning in (sneaky style of course).

During one such moment I caught Ashish running around like a mad man with a map of Pune he'd found (who knows where). I managed to snag him as he bolted by me and I took the map back. I sat him down and laid the map out on the floor, and I asked him if he knew where we were in Pune. I was surprised at how quickly he focused and began reading every English word on the map to himself in an attempt to find Yerwada (where the center is located). He actually knew we were in Yerwada, which amazed me. He couldn't have been but six years old and there are hundreds of neighborhoods on this map. I felt a little bad when I finally found us on the map, spelt Yarvoeda. I knew Ashish wouldn't be able to find us, signs here in India call this area Yerwada, but English maps sometimes spell things differently. After some time went by I eventually pointed it out and we began going over other things of interest on the map. The golf courses, down town Pune, Koregaon Park, nearby schools, temples, etc. A crowd quickly formed around us as they all took an interest in the map of their home. When it was finally time to go, Ashish picked up the map and folded it gently together. He handed it to me and asked if I could hang it up in the classroom, I smiled and told him I would.

In a mere 10 minutes I had turned what was once a meaningless giant piece of toy paper into something of great importance and significance to them. Which just further proves what I've already learned here, it's all about the little moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Mary's Travels (so far!)